Sunday, June 26, 2016

The real yellow submarine

Sunday 6-26-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Jonah 1 - 4    2 Tim 2
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Jonah 1:17  Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. NKJV

O.  Jonah, God’s “man for the hour”, was trying to escape from God’s plan for his life.  God had called for him to go on a mission to an evil city. But he hated the people of that city. Instead he bought a ticket to the furthest corner of the earth to escape God’s will.  But God had “prepared” a rescue submarine to bring Jonah back... three day’s journey, back to his own seacoast. 
God had “prepared” a rescue creature.  To me it suggests that God had been preparing for this moment for a long time... a great fish, especially designed to provide oxygen for a human to live inside for the long trip back to his home shore.  I’m not sure of its color, but a submarine was following that ship. 

A.  When I reject God’s will, He almost always gives me a second chance.  He did it for Jonah.  He has done it for me.  Jonah’s story says to me that God is merciful.  He shows His mercy first to Jonah and then to a repentant city who responded to Jonah’s preaching. And, yes, He has shown His mercy and grace to me many times.  For

P.  Oh Lord, may I never spend 3 days and 3 nights in rebellion against Your will.  Your plan is always better than mine.  You have not thrown me away just because I got old and grey.  You gave me a second chance, a fresh call and a new beginning.  What a wonderful Master I serve! Amen.

Ralph




No comments:

Post a Comment