Sunday, June 12, 2016

He ran with the wrong crowd.

Sunday 6-12-2016  (Martinez, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  1 Kings 12   2 Chron 10 – 11   Phil 2
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  1 Kings 12:8-9  But he (Solomon’s son, King Rehoboam) rejected the advice which the elders had given him, and consulted the young men who had grown up with him, who stood before him. And he said to them, "What advice do you give? How should we answer this people who have spoken to me, saying, 'Lighten the yoke which your father put on us'?"  NKJV

O.  Without doubt, Solomon, in spite of his great wisdom, did not prepare his son well to handle the pressures of being a king.  Rehoboam, now as king, rejects the wisdom of older men and seeks out the opinion of the young fellows that had been his buddies as he grew up.  These were likely all pampered boys that ran with his crowd.  Rehoboam accepted their harsh advice and, as a result, lost 10 of the 12 tribes of Israel in a rebellion.

A.  If there is something that I would do and encourage other fathers to do, it would be to warn my children about who they choose as their close friends.  Yes, and even now as an old man, I need to be careful about whose influence I am following.  My close friends can help me or destroy me.  They can either build my faith or weaken it.  And in turn I must decide what kind of an influence I will be upon my friends.  These are choices that will mark my future and theirs.

P.  Guide me, Oh Thou great Jehovah!  The future is always new territory.  There are always serious choices to make.  I pray for my sons.  I pray for my grandchildren.  I pray even for my great grandchildren that may come on the scene in years to come.  Oh God, may my descendants and theirs... follow Your wise instruction even in this world of evil, twisted values.  Amen. 

Ralph
Guide me, Oh Thou Great Jehovah
Words: William Williams, 1745;
trans. Peter Williams, 1771
Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more,
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.
be thou still my Strength and Shield,
be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.



No comments:

Post a Comment