Thursday, June 2, 2016

The King’s Friend

Thursday 5-19-2016  (Gaiman, Patagonian Bible Institute, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  1 Kings 4 - 5   2 Chron 2   Ps 101   2 Thess 3
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. 1 Kings 4:1-2 So King Solomon was king over all Israel. And these were his officials: Azariah the son of...
Vs 5 ...Zabud the son of Nathan, a priest and the king's friend;...  NKJV

O.  The newly appointed King Solomon sets up his cabinet. He assigns officials, several of whom are priests, scribes and well prepared men.  About number nine in the list is Zabud... a priest and the king’s friend.

A.  Anyone out there looking for a name to give your next son?  How about “Zabud”? You could nickname him “Buddy”. How did Zabud get to become the friend of the richest and wisest of earthly kings? How do you get announced in the history books as the “king’s friend”? Brother Zabud is only mentioned once in the Bible, so we don’t get to know how he pulled this off.  Solomon’s father, David, had a special friend, Jonathan, Saul’s son. So here we have Zabud.  Several translations call him Solomon’s advisor, but most versions call him “the king’s friend” and one version calls him, “the king’s special friend.”

P.  Lord Jesus, You are my King... and You are the King of all kings. I want to be Your friend. I want to walk and talk with You through Your garden in the evening. I want to sing for You as you gaze out the window at the sea. I want to hear Your heart’s desires and share in Your dreams. I want to know You so well that at a glance I know what You are saying. Your desire is my command. Just let me be Your friend.  Amen. 


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment