Saturday, June 25, 2016

Stir the pot.

Saturday 6-25-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  Joel 1 – 3    2 Tim 1
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  2 Tim 1:6-7  Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  NKJV

O.  Paul is in prison writing his final letter to his spiritual son, Timothy.  The old apostle knows that as time goes by we may easily get into a rut.  He wants to be sure that Timothy is not trying to do his ministry like a routine performance.  The Holy Spirit has given him supernatural gifts.  He must stir the pot now and then to keep these gifts alive and active in his ministry.

A. I find it easy to fall into a routine.  Certain things have to be done every day. After doing these things many times we can get pretty good at them.  A musician has played this song many times before.  So he sees no need to seek the Holy Spirit’s anointing for his task.  I, as a preacher of the Gospel, can become lazy and fall into this same trap.  Timothy has led the communion service 100 times.  But before taking the pulpit, both he and I need to stir the pot.  I need to seek a fresh anointing to allow my spiritual gifts to be active in my ministry.

P.  Lord, You have called me to a task that is bigger than all my talents.  I dare not depend upon my past successes.  Today, yes, today You are asking me to “stir the pot”.  I may have let Your precious gifts settle to the bottom.  Remind me daily that I can do nothing without You.  But with You I can do all things, for You strengthen me!  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment