Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tame that wild thing!

Tuesday 6-14-2016  (Martinez, Argentina) 
Scripture Reading:  1 Kings 15    2 Chron 13 - 14    Phil 4
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Phil 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy — meditate on these things. NKJV

O.  Paul did not allow his mind to be dominated with his negative surroundings.  He chose to live above his circumstances. 

A.  I quote from a devotional written recently by Pastor Ernest Leon Hiebert, “I have a mind; I am not a mind.  I have a mind; my mind does not have me. I am to discipline my mind and use it to control my body in a way that honors God.”  Our modern world has taken control of our minds.  We watch moving figures on a screen and allow our minds to be focused on whatever is projected before us. We go to a movie and allow our minds to be under almost total control of that movie for 2 hours. I could say, “Yes, but Paul didn’t live in our present world.” True. His circumstances were worse yet.  He was in prison.

P.  Lord, too many times I allow my mind to wander to ungodly places and circumstances that may affect my attitudes and actions. I believe you are saying to me, “Do not let your mind run wild. Tame that wild thing! Take control of it! Make it dwell on ‘lovely things, of good report, virtuous and praise worthy’.” Dear Lord, teach me how to control my mind.  Amen.

Ralph   




No comments:

Post a Comment