Friday, June 24, 2016

Get rich fast.

Friday 6-24-2016   Home in Modesto
Scripture Reading:  2 Kings 11 - 12    2 Chron 24    1 Tim 6
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  1 Tim 6:9-11 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. NKJV

O.  Paul warns his spiritual son, Timothy, against the dangers of being distracted from his ministry by the lurking temptation to seek riches.

A.  I witnessed it happen.  I was just starting out in ministry.  A fellow minister persuaded me to accompany him to a special meeting.  I discovered it was a propaganda meeting encouraging clergymen and others to join a certain scheme and get rich fast.  I was literally frightened and horrified by the obvious exaltation of the importance of riches.  I later lost track of that brother and others that followed him.  They may have become rich, but they lost their ministry.  It seems to me that the lure of riches had derailed them from God’s highest purpose for their lives.

P.  Lord, You have always provided all I need.  Indeed, I am wealthy when compared with the people of many other nations.  Help me not to fix my eyes on the trinkets that are daily promoted before my eyes.  They are things that can be purchased with riches.  But You are teaching me to “flee these things” and invest my riches in the saving of lost souls.  For my riches are really not mine at all.  You are just trusting me to be Your faithful steward of Your riches.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment