Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Titan Missile and Wonderful Peace

Sunday 1-15-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Gen 37 – 38, Psalm 7 and Luke 15
S = Scripture  O = Observation  A = Application  P = Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Ps 7:15-16 They dig a pit to trap others and then fall into it themselves. They make trouble, but it backfires on them. They plan violence for others, but it falls on their own heads. NLT

O. In David’s day a hidden pit with a fake covering was a lethal weapon used by his enemies. David calls them wicked.

A. During the “cold war” Russia was threatening to destroy a city in the US with a powerful hydrogen atomic bomb. War is always “wicked”. The US felt that they had to match that threat in case of an attack. Friday night I watched a movie depicting an apparently true story of an accident that could have destroyed an entire state. Massive Titan missiles were built, armed and ready to fire. They were buried in top secret locations deep in a “pit”. A simple accident happened, when part of a tool fell deep into the pit, punctured the fuel tank of this Titan missile. Theoretically thousands of lives were in danger. When the leaking fuel finally exploded only one young military man was killed and another seriously injured. The atomic warhead was blown out of the hole, but by its design, and by the mercy of God, it did not detonate.
Today there are several nations that already have or are developing atomic warheads, probably accumulating enough explosive power to destroy most of the civilization from the face of this earth. But just storing these warheads in a “safe pit” could put an entire country in danger of a deadly explosion. The aggressor is digging a pit that could destroy himself and his nation.

P. Lord Jesus, I thank you that, to my knowledge, thus far no accident has detonated an atomic warhead within the United States. Your word predicts wars and rumors of wars. International peace seems to be hanging by a fragile thread. I thank You for “Your peace,” not the peace that the world can offer. Lord Jesus You promised, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 NIV Because of You, tonight I can lie down and sleep in peace. Amen.

Ralph
Wonderful Peace
By Warren D. Cornell, 1889

1.    Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial-like strains it unceasingly falls
O’er my soul like an infinite calm.
o   Refrain:
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!
2.    What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul,
So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll!
3.    I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus’ control;
For I’m kept from all danger by night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul!
4.    And I think when I rise to that city of peace,
Where the Author of peace I shall see,
That one strain of the song which the ransomed will sing
In that heavenly kingdom will be:
5.    Ah soul, are you here without comfort and rest,
Marching down the rough pathway of time?
Make Jesus your friend ere the shadows grow dark;
Oh, accept this sweet peace so sublime!






No comments:

Post a Comment