Wednesday, January 25, 2017

She said, “I saw the man on the beach!”

Thursday 12-22-16, Modesto, California, USA
Today we read John 12 - 14

S. John 13:31 Jesus said, "The time has come for me, the Son of Man, to enter into my glory…
Vs 33 I must go away and leave you! …
Vs 36-38 Simon Peter said, "Lord, where are you going?" And Jesus replied, "You can't go with me now, but you will follow me later."  "But why can't I come now, Lord?" he asked. "I am ready to die for you." Jesus answered, "Die for me? No, before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me. NLT

O.The time has come…” Ten or more times in the gospel records there are references to Jesus’ special “time” or “hour”. Usually it is to say something like, “His hour had not yet come.” But now during the scene of the “Last supper” Jesus says, “My time has come!” The disciples probably thought that “His hour” referred to His visible political kingdom. But now He is telling them, “It is here! It is now! So, I am going away where you cannot follow me.” But Peter objects, “Lord, I want to come with You as You enter into Your glory!” Jesus replies in effect, “Peter, you will follow me, but not now.” And Peter did follow Jesus, many years later. Tradition says that he was hung on a cross upside down at his own request, since he felt unworthy to die the way his Savior had died.

A. My time has not yet come. But it is certain to come, either in the rapture of the Church or at my passing from this world into a better world… a world free from sin and its evil consequences. For Peter, it meant a time of great suffering followed by a glorious entry through heaven’s gates. It seems that the hour of death is often accompanied by pain and suffering, even for the Christian… but we have our eyes already fixed on the other side of the veil. 

The night before her death, Frances could hardly speak. But she awoke me during her darkest hour to excitedly tell me: “I saw the man on the beach!” I asked her to explain: “Who? What? What do you mean? Tell me more!” But she was exhausted and could only replied, “Never mind.” Somebody was waiting for her on the other side to welcome her into heaven’s glory.

P. Lord, I wonder who You will send to that “beach” to welcome me into Your heaven, my new celestial home. Maybe it will be my Frances. My hour is coming, perhaps sooner than I think. I thank You, Lord, that even though I am not anxious to suffer the pain of death, I have the assurance of Your gift of Salvation. Someone will be waiting to welcome me to the other side of the veil.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment