Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Untrimmed Beards

Saturday 11-26-16 Puerto Iguazú, northern Argentina   
Today we read Matt 23 - 25

S.  Matt 23:4-5 “They crush you with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to help ease the burden. Everything they do is for show.” NLT

O.  Jesus is focusing on the religious Pharisees, who were trying to make an impression on the public. “Look at me! Look how I am dressed! See? I am very religious!” And the truth is they were very religious in appearance, but it was all exterior. Under their robes was secret sin. Jesus shined his bright light and reveal their hypocrisy.

A.  Are we in danger of doing the same? I was told only yesterday about some devout Christians that can be identified by the way they wear their hair and clothing. I can remember the day when “holiness” was acted out in this same way in my country. Hopefully the daily lives of these obviously religious people also speak well to their neighbors.

P.  Lord Jesus, it is true that Moses’ laws even showed interest in how a man’s beard looked. Lev 21:5 “…neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard” KJV And You revealed to us how the Pharisees added many additional rules to display their holiness.  So I plead for Your true holiness of the heart and life, holiness that first pleases You, and then displays its veracity by my actions.  Amen.

Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment