Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Joy of Blessing Others

Thursday 1-19-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Gen 47 – 48, Psalm 10 and Luke 19
S = Scripture  O = Observation  A = Application  P = Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Gen 47:7-10 Then Joseph brought his father, Jacob, and presented him to Pharaoh, and Jacob blessed Pharaoh. "How old are you?" Pharaoh asked him. Jacob replied, "I have lived for 130 hard years, but I am still not nearly as old as many of my ancestors." Then Jacob blessed Pharaoh again before he left. NLT

O. We are not informed as to what kind of what god or gods that Pharaoh worshipped, but we know that they had an official religion, since the text tells us how Pharaoh provided land and food for his many priests. Now Joseph, who has lived an honorable life before Pharaoh, brings his 130 year old father to meet him. There is no record that they discussed religion, but before leaving the presence of this king, the elderly Jacob addresses the true and living God to bless Pharaoh.

A. How many times have I dealt with business men and women and when I have completed my business, I have left with only a handshake or “see you later”? Sometimes, after I had walked out, I thought, “Why didn’t I think to, at least, offer to pray a blessing over that man or woman?” I had been too occupied with my business to offer a prayer. But other times I have remembered, and before walking out, I have offered a prayer of blessing, sometimes without even asking their permission. Some have expressed their thanks.
When buying property from the Catholic Church in Lujan, Argentina to plant a evangelical church in the center of town, we had closed the deal. The money was paid in cash. Their priest, lawyers and the real estate man were present. I requested and received their permission to do as I was accustomed. I prayed for those priests and their lawyers, asking God to bless them with His glorious gift of eternal salvation. The group of priests all were crossing themselves when I closed in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

P. Lord Jesus, I want to see those men in heaven. You are the God Who hears and answers prayer. Help me to be generous with the blessings that You have showered upon my life and share them with others… even if I only have a passing moment to do so. Amen.

Ralph





No comments:

Post a Comment