Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Stars and Lampstands

Tuesday 12-27-16, Modesto, California
Today we read Rev 1 – 4 
S = Scripture  O = Observation  A = Application  P = Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  Rev 1:20 This is the meaning of the seven stars you saw in my right hand and the seven gold lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches. 
Rev 2:1 Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands: **

O. Jesus is walking among the churches. He is there to instruct them, encourage them, correct their errors and offer them solutions. Perhaps the “angels of the seven churches” refers to the pastor of each church.  

A. If so, pastor friend, please know that even if you are not perfect and your church is filled with imperfect people, still you are a shining star, held in the nail-scarred hand of Jesus. I find that comforting. Even in all my imperfection He still holds me in His hand.  But warning: Let’s be careful not to become “the star of the show.” Pride comes before a fall.  I have seen it too many times and it is true.

P. Dear Lord, although I am no longer the pastor of a local church, You have allowed me to minister to many of Your servants.  I see them as shining stars, held in Your hands. Please let Your bright light shine through their lives dispelling the darkness within their cities.  And may Your light faithfully shine through me to brighten my world, until You take me to my new home.  Amen.

Ralph
** Originally I hoped to emphasize the seven different brief descriptions of Christ, but I could quickly see that this would become a study too long and involved for a single daily devotional.  Below see the list of underlined descriptions of Jesus, the author of these seven messages:
Rev 2:1 Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands:
Vs 8 Smyrna. This is the message from the one who is the First and the Last, who died and is alive: 
Vs 12 Pergamum. This is the message from the one who has a sharp two-edged sword:
Vs 18 Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are bright like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze:  
Rev 3:1 Sardis. This is the message from the one who has the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars:
Vs 7 Philadelphia. This is the message from the one who is holy and true. He is the one who has the key of David. He opens doors, and no one can shut them; he shuts doors, and no one can open them.
Vs 14 Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen — the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation:



No comments:

Post a Comment