Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Follow me and get rich!

Monday 11-21-16 Posadas City, northern Argentina   
Today we read Matt 8 - 10

S.  Matt 8:19-20 Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you no matter where you go!" But Jesus said, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but I, the Son of Man, have no home of my own, not even a place to lay my head." NLT

O.  The itinerant evangelist is offered a sharp new follower, willing to go with him wherever he might go.  He is obviously a wealthy lawyer.  So the evangelist says, “Come follow me and give me your money and God will bless you with a brand new Mercedes like mine and a luxurious mansion overlooking the lake, right next to me.” Well, not this evangelist, Jesus, the Messiah King. He offers this sharp lawyer a chance to sleep on the cold sidewalk alongside of Him.

A.  God has blessed me far more that I deserve. I only sleep under the stars when I decide to camp out with my son and grandkids.  Sometimes I am offered a really nice, modern hotel, like the one I am staying in right now.  Other times, I sleep just as well in a primitive shelter on a par with my peers that are sacrificing their fortune and their lives to reach the lost.  So much for a “follow me and get rich”‘gospel’.

P.  Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of sharing life with Your heroes of the faith that are not seeking silver or gold, not even comfort… for they are out here searching for the lost and dying and using the blessings that You pass their way to bless those less fortunate that surround them.  Help me to learn from them… and from You.  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment