Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Some mothers don’t ask permission.

Sunday 12-18-16, Modesto, California, USA
Today we read John 2 - 4

S.  John 2:3-5 The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus' mother spoke to him about the problem. "They have no more wine," she told him. "How does that concern you and me?" Jesus asked. "My time has not yet come."  But his mother told the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." NLT

O.  Jesus’ mother knew a secret.  She knew that He was no usual child.  She had hidden the visit of Gabriel, the virgin birth, the words of the shepherds and the wise men, the words of a prophet called Simeon and a devout woman called Anna.  She had treasured these things in her heart.  He was a miracle child.  Jesus wasn’t anxious to let the secret out yet.  He said His time had not yet come to open the curtains on the stage of His life.  But mothers will be mothers and she over-ruled His comment and started giving orders to the servants.

A.  I had a mother like this.  She thought her little boy could do anything.  I was always looking for a place to hide, but she spoke for me.  “Sure, Ralph can do it.”  My Pastor William Booth-Clibborn told me that I was going to memorize Psalm 103 and give it before the whole church complete with hand movements and voice emphasis.  I am sure that my mother was behind this.  I was a very skinny and young 13 year-old and far too timid to get up in front of the church for anything.  I was sure that “my time had not yet come” and was hoping that it never would.  Okay, I did it… and Psalm 103 remains my favorite psalm almost 70 years later.

P.  Jesus, what would You and I do without mothers like this?  Your mother opened the curtains and pushed You out on the stage before You thought You were ready.  We couldn’t control them and we couldn’t live without them.  So, we both just look up toward heaven and say, “Thank You, Father, for a pushy, persistent mother.”  Amen.

Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment