Wednesday, January 25, 2017

What amazing grace!

Wednesday 1-11-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Gen 27 – 28, Psalm 4 and Luke 11 
S = Scripture  O = Observation  A = Application  P = Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Gen 27:38 Esau pleaded, "Not one blessing left for me? O my father, bless me, too!" Then Esau broke down and wept. NLT

O. Jacob, prompted by his mother, Rebekah, had cleverly tricked Isaac into thinking he was blessing his favorite son, Esau. The deception worked, and Isaac, who was old and blind, prayed his generous covenant-blessing over Jacob instead of his twin brother Esau. Soon after this, Esau returns from hunting wild game, and carefully prepares a savory meal and with great anticipation of a generational blessing, presents it to his blind father. But Esau discovers that his father has no hunger now. He has just eaten the food that Jacob brought him. His brother Jacob had stolen his covenant-blessing. 

A. I admit that I am a soft touch, but every time I read this story I cannot help but place myself in Esau’s situation. When he cries out the desperate plea (shown above) to his father, I find myself tearing up and, yes, I weep along with Esau. I confess that I wonder why God still honored the stolen covenant-blessing for Jacob. But I am not in a position to judge God for His decisions. I have only a small part of this story (or of any story for that matter) whereas God sees the whole picture, even our deep-seated motives.

P. So, Heavenly Father, as I walk this path of life and face many situations, help me to restrain from judging someone in my heart.** I am tempted to say, “But Lord, how can You bless the ministry of that brother? Look what he did!” And You answer me with these words, “Do you think for a moment that I have blessed you because you are without dark spots? I have seen your repentant heart and have blessed you time and again when you did not deserve it.” Yes, it is true, Lord. What amazing grace! Amen.

Ralph
**Luke 6:37 Stop judging others, and you will not be judged. Stop criticizing others, or it will all come back on you. If you forgive others, you will be forgiven… NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment