Tuesday, January 24, 2017

“Throw yourself into your tasks.”

Thursday 12-8-16 Martinez, Buenos Aires, Argentina 
Today we read 1 Timothy 1 – 4 

S.  1 Tim 4:14-16 Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecies spoken to you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you. Give your complete attention to these matters. Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right, and God will save you and those who hear you. NLT

O.  Young Timothy was probably among the converts during Paul and Barnabas’ first visit to the city of Lystra.  Then on Paul’s second visit he practically adopts him as his spiritual son. Then after years of traveling together, they had to separate on certain occasions.  Paul may have just been released after his first Roman court case. Timothy was apparently left in Ephesus to care for the church there.  Paul is instructing his son in church organization and giving many practical concepts to guide him in his responsibilities. These have been preserved to help guide us today.

A. Early in my ministry I urgently needed a mentor.  My problem was I would… “Throw myself into my tasks” and I need someone to step on the brakes once in a while. God was kind to me and gave me several men of great spiritual stature and integrity.  I was privileged to serve under them and call on them when in doubt about a given circumstance. 

P. Thank you, Lord, for those that have served as my mentors.  I could never be where I am, were it not for these spiritual giants.  They cared for me and my family bringing us boxes of food even before we realized that we were in need.  They checked up on me, instructed me, corrected me and helped direct my destiny.  Timothy had his Paul… and I had my Pastor Virgil Christian, Pastor Mel Woods, Presbyter George Elrod and others.  Amen.

Ralph   


No comments:

Post a Comment