Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Hiding Place

Saturday 12-17-16, Modesto, California, USA
Today we read 2 Peter 1 – 3 and John 1

S. John 1:47-49 As they approached, Jesus said, "Here comes an honest man — a true son of Israel." "How do you know about me?" Nathanael asked. And Jesus replied, "I could see you under the fig tree before Philip found you." Nathanael replied, "Teacher, you are the Son of God — the King of Israel!" NLT

O. Apparently, Nathanael had a secret place, hidden under a fig tree where he met with God. No one could see him there or disturb his sacred communion with His Creator. The large fig leaves covered his hiding place. When the first man and woman wanted to hide, they found fig leaves for the job and tried to cover their newly discovered nakedness. It was a futile attempt to hide from the all-seeing eyes of their Creator.

A. What am I trying to hide under fig leaves? Am I seeking solitude to meet with God? Or am I seeking to hide my shame? Either way, fig leaves don’t do the job. What would Jesus say about me if I was being introduced to Him for the first time? I saw you, Ralph, hiding behind the bushes over there. Would those words bring delight or shame?

P. Lord, I thank You that You have covered me with a “robe of righteousness” **, Your righteousness, not mine. My righteousness would be mere, fragile fig leaves that could hide nothing. But my sins are forgiven, I am covered by the gift-robe of Your salvation. Your sacrificial death and resurrection provided a new suit of spiritual clothing for me. Now, Lord, whenever I find myself hiding from the eyes of my peers, like Nathanael, may it only be to seek a quiet time with You. Amen.

Ralph
**Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. KJV


No comments:

Post a Comment