Friday, January 27, 2017

Hur, the Helper

Friday 1-27-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Exod 17 – 20 and Acts 3
S = Scripture  O = Observation  A = Application  P = Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S. Ex 17:8-13 While the people of Israel were still at Rephidim, the warriors of Amalek came to fight against them. Moses commanded Joshua, "Call the Israelites to arms, and fight the army of Amalek. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand."
So Joshua did what Moses had commanded. He led his men out to fight the army of Amalek. Meanwhile Moses, Aaron, and Hur went to the top of a nearby hill. As long as Moses held up the staff with his hands, the Israelites had the advantage. But whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites gained the upper hand. Moses' arms finally became too tired to hold up the staff any longer. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side, holding up his hands until sunset. As a result, Joshua and his troops were able to crush the army of Amalek. NLT

O. Who was Hur? This is the first mention of this man in the Bible. He is remembered because he stood beside Moses, holding up one of his hands during this battle to resist the attack of the Amalekites, while Aaron held up his other hand. He just did what he was assigned to do. He was a “helper”.

A. Gary was an ex-addict. One day he just appeared out of nowhere. He came uninvited to Argentina and asked if he could “help”. We had just purchased a picture-perfect dairy farm on the outskirts of Buenos Aires to serve as a Teen Challenge rehab farm for addicts. It came with 23 cows and two horses, a main house and a caretaker’s house. So suddenly Gary shows up on my doorstep wanting to help. What could he do to help? “Well”, I said, “We do need somebody that knows how to milk cows.” Gary says, “That’s me! I know how to milk cows.” So, we took Gary way out there to the farm all by himself and dropped him off. It was cold wintertime, with only a wood stove for heat and a tiny town with a single store within walking distance. Gary spoke no Spanish, which didn’t bother the animals, but with a lot of laughter and hand motions he soon was learning Spanish from the people of the little town.  He told me that God had given him a gift for His place in His service. He had the gift of “helper”. 

P. Dear Lord Jesus, You were watching out for Frances and me. I was always jumping in over my head. You gave us Norbert, a qualified leader to head up Teen Challenge. You supplied me with Rhonda, an experienced volunteer, full-time secretary, when I desperately needed her. You supplied, Eddie, as my full-time helper, sent as an intern from Bethany College. And the list goes on and on. Then later You called some of my “helpers” into full-time ministry where they still serve today, decades later… “helpers” that became “leaders”. Thank you, Jesus. I couldn’t do it by myself. I needed and was blessed with young men and women like Hur who could hold up my weary hands. Amen.

Ralph





No comments:

Post a Comment